To see my tribute to Flo, go here

See about helping Flo's Haitian artist friends at Jakmel Ekspresyon

Friday, October 7, 2022

The trip between homes



 Now the obligatory description of making the trip.  Margaret's son, who lives with us now, took us to the Dartmouth Coach station for the ride to Boston Logan Airport.  Early in the morning we got notice that our 5.55 flight would be delayed to 6.45.  We were checked in and had a wait; now that Delta has moved most international departures to Terminal E we were in an area of several gates close together boarding at the same time so there was confusion.  We were eventually boarded and left with a bit more of a delay.  The diabetic meal we ordered was not pleasing to me.  In regular Economy seats I got a decent amount of sleep.  It was nice to see Italy on the landing approach, but there were foggy conditions on landing.   They made up most of the delay, and I had my first look at a new E concourse at Rome Fiumicino airport.

Our bags turned up, and it was time for the train journey to pick up the rental car in Orvieto, which we found a good solution last time.  Because it's preferable to pay cash for this rental, I was looking for ATMs.  The ones I saw in the terminal were from Euronet, which make me worry about extra charges.  At the airport train station there was one from a regular bank, Intesa Sanpaolo.  It tried to make me take Dynamic Currency Conversion, charging in dollars at a bad rate, but I declined that and it still had its own fee of €3.  (Finally exactly 1-1 EUR-USD conversion.) I bought train tickets from the kiosk  and we had our trip connecting at Roma Tiburtina.   I felt the weight of our overpacked bags and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped to find our connecting track number, but we were there, that train was delayed, and it made up most of the delay.

We arrived, were picked up by Andrea from the rental agency, and were settled in the automatic 500L.  I'd picked the roadside restaurant Pisello, where we had some nice pasta dishes to get us started.  Then we got to Umbertide and found the house in good shape.  It was 24 hours after our departure from home.  A quick visit to our favorite grocer and bar, and we were ready to sleep, a good night for me.

After it being close to freezing temperatures in Vermont, we arrived in Italy with warm times, getting chilly at night.

Random changes to note: ten years ago I reported on the newsstand in our nearby piazza being removed and relocated; now in the new location it's closed.  I currently just buy the newspaper on Friday when it has a magazine supplement, at the tobacco shop; now there's a sign that that business is for sale.  Closing with a picture of the house and Margaret.




1 comment:

  1. Andrew, you write a fun and easy to follow and understand story. Thank you, I appreciate that! I hope you two have a wonderful stay at your home in Italy and great travels!

    ReplyDelete