To see my tribute to Flo, go here

See about helping Flo's Haitian artist friends at Jakmel Ekspresyon

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Cologne and approach to Amsterdam

 We docked in Cologne during the night and there was an early call for breakfast as we were getting things done early to be sure we’d complete the long trip to Amsterdam in time for some passengers to make their flights.  We were out on a walking tour at 8.30, before much had opened, and had a bit to see of the center of this big city, much of it with postwar reconstruction, the guide telling us of a few oddities, many centered on critical details that were missed in getting something to function.  He provided some jelly donuts. We got to the Cathedral; I remembered seeing the spires when my family drove by on the Autobahn when I was seven, and now it was impressive to look inside, however briefly.









Cologne was a city I’d wanted to see for a long time, but this visit was rushed, with the ship needing to leave before noon.  As we are on this afternoon sailing, I can report preliminary thoughts on the cruise.  It was nice to be on this all-inclusive cruise with plentiful food options and all drinks included.  It’s also unique to be able to wake up in different towns without needing to pack and move bags.  On the other hand, I’m not generally a fan of going on guided tours, and I felt the pressure of having limited time, especially in Cologne.

We’ve had our nice Captain’s final reception and dinner, now looking forward to our time in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment